Every Ride, Every Time: when getting on the bandwagon is a good idea

My father is a trauma surgeon and he has seen countless horse accidents in the course of his practice: broken backs from vaulting, kicks, and crashes.  Our family acknowledged the inherent risk in riding, but we were each firmly instructed to minimize those risks, most notably by wearing a helmet for every ride.  I don't have an answer for how various horse industries should adopt helmet policies (i.e., top hats in dressage competition, cowboy hats for Western), but I do encourage you to adopt a strict helmet policy for yourself and your facility.


I know many of you have already seen Courtney's story, but in case you haven't, and just to show my support for the cause, I am sharing it here.  


"There was the before, and then there was the after. Before, she basked in the thrill of cantering down centerline at the Olympic Games. After, it was a thrill to move her own feet, one in front of the other. Before, she rode half a dozen elite horses per day. After, climbing atop a 22-year-old therapy horse was a task worth celebrating. Before, she left her helmet in the tack room. And after . . . well, we all know the answer to that."  Read the rest of Courtney's store here.

Here is Courtney before her accident:



I encourage you to watch her message to riders after her accident, to see both the devastating impact of her helmet-less fall, and to support her cause:  Watch it here.

Riding is an incredible sport with such great rewards.  For myself, the risks do not outweigh the benefits; but I do feel particularly terrible when one of our own, a rider, faces such hardship.  
No legal reflection on this topic today, just wanted to join this remarkable bandwagon of supporting Courtney.