Lawyers and You: I want to know what you think!

The intersection of law and horses is a funny thing.  
When I was growing up in the horse world I had always thought lawyers might be reserved for racehorses or exorbitantly expensive ones, and lawyers wouldn't have a place in the average competitive and recreational world.

But then I went to law school, and I realized how frequently deals go wrong, often due to a lack of communication or understanding of each other.  So I started talking to horse people, and I realized how frequently people have felt "burned" or treated unfairly in a horse transaction.  

Common themes I hear are issues with trainers and being charged more than expected, trainers not receiving what they believe they deserve, issues with lame horses after a sale, and boarders who won't pay their bills.

Straight from the horse's mouth... what's YOUR opinion?
Source: USEF Facebook Fans' Funny Horse Photos submitted by Ferne Johnson... and look for my boy Lux!

_________________

There are such simple steps that can be taken to avoid many of these issues, such as a proof of sale or sale agreement, an insurance agreement, a trainer's commission agreement, a trial-period agreement, an insurance agreement, a release of liability, boarding agreement, etc.

To me, the best way to avoid problems is to anticipate where problems could arise- this comes largely from horse world experience and learning from horse transactions that have gone wrong.  But in large part it is common sense: no matter how friendly you are with the trainer, barn owner, or seller of a horse, unfortunately when money is in issue there is a rather high likelihood of good faith going out the window.

So I would really love to know- what are your thoughts on using a lawyer in your horse transactions?  Would you use a lawyer once to receive a set of forms for your barn that you can use over and over?  Would you use a lawyer as a preventative to help avoid problems, or would you only use a lawyer if something went wrong?

Thank you so much for your time in selecting your answer to the poll!