Immigration Law: the Equine Specialist

We've previously discussed the aspects of immigration for the International Equine Professional, which requires an immigration visa (P-1) wherein the athlete is renown in several countries, or is part of an internationally recognized team.

This immigration post is for the equine specialist, who is not necessarily hired for his/ her riding and training abilities.
For example: My family is friends with two Argentine veterinarians, who live and work in Argentina;
if someone wished to hire one of these veterinarians to work on their ranch or for a club or team in the U.S., most likely the appropriate visa for the vet is the H-1B.

The H-1B visa is for "specialty occupations" that require highly specialized knowledge, and that the experience or knowledge was achieved by higher education (or equivalent) to a U.S. bachelor degree.
Equine specialities include veterinarians, equine science professionals, certain barn management positions, or other professionals with a degree required for the equine work opportunity in the U.S. 

This visa can be issued for a 3-year duration, and then extended for an additional 3 years for a total of 6 years in the U.S.  There is also potential for the H-1B visa holder to receive a green card.

If you wish to employ an international equine specialist you must submit a Labor Condition Application detailing the employment position, and secondly you must petition Citizen and Immigration Services.
If approved for the H-1B, the dependents (spouse and children) of the equine specialist can apply for a H-4 visa so they can stay together as a family.


All of these great images are from the website of Felix Doolittle, based in West Newtown, PA.
(Original equine art on various stationery and accessories.)