It is Official! An Attorney in Kentucky

Today I was so fortunate to attend the Kentucky swearing-in ceremony; it was touching and humbling. Just less than 150 attendees filed into the grandiose Capitol Building in Frankfort, Kentucky. The building is an impressive facade and an even more beautiful marble interior. 

Capitol Building, Frankfort, KY

 We were seated in the House of Representatives Room with the Supreme Court formally in session. The installation of new attorneys was presided over by Chief Justice Minton, Jr., with the entire bench of Justices in attendance. It was also so incredible to have the Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear address us. The Secretary of State of Kentucky Alison Lundergan Grimes was also in attendance, and the Honorable Sue Bell Cob, Former Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court delivered a heartfelt address. The underlying theme of all speakers was the importance that we retain funding for our courts in this difficult economic recession. 
 Today was fittingly the United State's annual Law Day, with the theme: "No Courts, No Justice, No Freedom." you can read more about Law Day 2012 here

 I am grateful to Kentucky for such a touching and impressive ceremony. After we new Kentucky attorneys affirmed our Constitutional oath, the Governor, Justices, and other honored guests stood, turned to us, and applauded our accomplishment and admission. 

 I want to share our Kentucky Constitutional oath, with special note that the "dueling" aspect was certainly not part of California's oath! 
 "I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of attorney according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God." 

To see the rest of my photos from the swearing-in and my time in Lexington, you can find them on my facebook page.